(allocating non-cachable memory) (or More on the i82596)

Justin (Gus) Hurwitz ghurwitz at dyndns.com
Fri Jun 29 16:58:43 EST 2001

On Fri, 29 Jun 2001, Dan Malek wrote:

> jtm at smoothsmoothie.com wrote:
>
> > .... The buffer memory will get filled
> > via DMA, and therefore must not be cached.
>
> Huh????  The 8260 is cache coherent, you don't need to do that.
>
> For processors that are not cache coherent (4xx and 8xx), there
> are standard 'consistent_alloc()' functions available.

Dan, Wwhere are the consistent_alloc functions? I just did a grep of the
entire source tree (it's about 2 weeks old 2_4_devel) and was unable to
find any consistent_* functions except for in the sparc and arm
architectures. There were pci_consistent_ functions under ppc, but I
assume that that requires a pci bus, which I do not have.

Thanks,
--Gus