Flash Driver

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Aug 15 05:32:18 EST 2001

In message <3A494DE356A49A40B37442E1E0D9F3B506341C at ptah.ad.newisys.com> you wrote:

> Coool!! Now I have the flash driver registering itself and telling me
> all about the number of partitions on my flash etc. etc. I have the
> flash device in the /dev directory. Now, how do I use them? I remember
> using them before using the dd command.

That's one option. If your write() calls are the same or  a  multiple
of  the erase block size, the driver performs auto-erase. You you can
just read / write it.

Attached below is a small patch against busybox to add flash_info and
flash_erase as busybox applets. [That's  part  of  SELF,  our  Simple
Embedded  Linux  Framework; I just wish I'd find the time to complete
the documentation so I could put it all up for FTP...]

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
"He only drinks when he gets depressed." "Why does he get depressed?"
"Sometimes it's because he hasn't had a drink."
                                     - Terry Pratchett, _Men at Arms_