Software Emulation error

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Dec 22 02:48:19 EST 2000

Dear Kyle,

in message <3A42057C.6449819F at nexus-tech.net> you wrote:

> Sorry, I guess more detailed info would be helpful. I'm running a 2.2.13
> kernel on a TQM823 board. I have seen this error when using dd to write
> to flash. But it's not consistent (sometimes dd works, sometimes it
> doesn't). Then I wrote a program using the times() function and it
> always fails. I went back and tried this with the original kernel and it
> works! I recompiled with and without MATH_EMULATION, but essentially get

Be careful what your running where - if you use  the  old  glibc-1.99
based  tools  which  assume to have a FPU, you MUST run a kernel with
MATH_EMULATION. If you use the CDK to  compile  you  own  stuff  with
glibc-2.x  you  MUST  use  -msoft-float  (in  fact  that's enabled by
default in the CDK).

I have seen similar problem with the old glibc-1.99  tools;  they  go
away when you use a "clean" soft-float-only environment.

> the same error. I've tried rebuilding the kernel to what I think are
> default settings, but still no luck. What other kernel configs are
> relevant?

It's not the kernel, it's the application / library (except that  the
FP emulation code in 2.2.13 had several problems of it's own).

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
panic: kernel trap (ignored)