Software Emulation error

Kyle Harris kharris at nexus-tech.net
Fri Dec 22 03:05:01 EST 2000

Wolfgang Denk wrote:

> Dear Kyle,
>
> in message <3A42057C.6449819F at nexus-tech.net> you wrote:
> >
> > Sorry, I guess more detailed info would be helpful. I'm running a 2.2.13
> > kernel on a TQM823 board. I have seen this error when using dd to write
> > to flash. But it's not consistent (sometimes dd works, sometimes it
> > doesn't). Then I wrote a program using the times() function and it
> > always fails. I went back and tried this with the original kernel and it
> > works! I recompiled with and without MATH_EMULATION, but essentially get
>
> Be careful what your running where - if you use  the  old  glibc-1.99
> based  tools  which  assume to have a FPU, you MUST run a kernel with
> MATH_EMULATION. If you use the CDK to  compile  you  own  stuff  with
> glibc-2.x  you  MUST  use  -msoft-float  (in  fact  that's enabled by
> default in the CDK).

This is a little too wierd. I recompiled with -msoft-float and sure
enough the application runs. I then recompiled w/o -msoft-float and
guess what? It still runs. I had also discovered earlier that it would
run under gdb, but not from the shell. I wonder if I might be having a
hardware problem.

Thanks for you help. Kyle.