Journeyman configure/build options for gcc & glibc?

Graham Stoney greyham at research.canon.com.au
Thu Aug 17 13:16:30 EST 2000

Hi Joe,

Joe Green writes:
> I recall the printf problem as something we specifically fixed.  I
> asked the engineer who worked on it, and he said it was a varargs
> problem, so the fix is in the the gcc package.

Thanks for the response.  I tried upgrading my root filesystem from Journeyman
to 1.2, and now binaries built with my compiler work correctly with the HHL1.2
libraries.  I never saw any varargs problems between my gcc-2.95.2 and
glibc-2.1.3 once the other 8xx fixes were applied (the same ones that are
now in the 1.2 SRPMs), so perhaps whatever got "fixed" in Journeyman was a bad
mod that got backed out again for 1.2.

Anyway, I'm happy.  My only gripe about the otherwise excellent Hard Hat kit
is the ugly symlink from /opt/hardhat/devkit/ppc/8xx/powerpc-linux -> /
which is necessary on the _target_.  If you added the following after
-dynamic-linker in the gcc specs file, this wouldn't be necessary:
    --rpath /lib --rpath-link /opt/hardhat/devkit/ppc/8xx/powerpc-linux/lib

Then the cross-compiled binaries will look for their dynamic libraries in
/lib on the target, rather than /opt/hardhat/devkit/ppc/8xx/powerpc-linux/lib.

(Well, actually I'm not thrilled with the gcc/cccp.c relocation hack either;
 this sounds like a job for configure --prefix to me, but aside from that I'm
 happy :-)

Keep up the good work!

Thanks,
Graham