PowerPC radeon KMS - is it possible?

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Wed Apr 18 20:54:06 EST 2012

On Mit, 2012-04-18 at 20:37 +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-04-18 at 20:35 +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> > > How hard would it be to add it?
> >
> > The code itself is relatively self contained, but the KMS power
> > management side is a bit ... messy :-)

That's an interesting way to put it, given the hacks to make it work
between radeonfb and uninorth_agp. :) (Which are complicating making at
least hibernation work with KMS on uninorth_agp)

In contrast, radeon KMS uses the standard Linux device suspend/resume
hooks.

> > So the real deal is to figure out how best to "hook it up" there.
> >
> > There's some duplication
>
> Argh... bloody x220 touchpad...
>
> So I was saying, there's also some duplication in the area of dynamic
> clocks configuration. Some of this could be an issue as afaik, to work
> reliably, the suspend/resume code really wants the stuff to be setup
> exactly the way the code in radeon_pm does....

Are you referring to radeon_pm in radeonfb or radeon KMS?

Most of the latter isn't used on PPC laptops because it relies on an x86
video BIOS.

--
Earthling Michel Dänzer           |                   http://www.amd.com