fastboot.

John Rigby jcrigby at gmail.com
Sat May 30 06:30:57 EST 2009

Kenneth,

I did some fastboot work for 5121 a few months ago.  U-boot, kernel and
JFFS2 rootfs in NOR.  My reset to userland time was 2.0 seconds, where
userland was first command executed in first rc.whatever file, so it
included the time for /sbin/init to get up and start running the rc scripts.

I did some profiling and noticed that the JFFS2 boot time was a significant
hunk (not just the first time but everytime).  I ran sumtool on the JFFS2
image and it dropped 600 ms from the boot time so my final time was 1.4
seconds.  The sumtool program has been around for a few years but it was
news to mean when I found it.

John