help with MPC8272ADS board

Scott Wood scottwood at freescale.com
Tue May 5 02:30:55 EST 2009

On Sun, May 03, 2009 at 10:16:29AM +0300, Landau, Bracha wrote:
> I'm trying to get the MPC8272ADS evaluation board up and running with
> the latest versions of u-boot and Denx linux (2.6.24).

2.6.24 is nowhere near the latest version of Linux.  If you specifically
want to use a Denx kernel, you're better off at eldk at denx.de -- though
I'd be surprised if that's the latest they offer, either.

> I use the device tree file (mpc8272ads.dts) provided. Based on another
> post, I updated the MPC8260ADS.h file, changing OF_CPU from
> "cpu at 0<mailto:cpu at 0>" to "PowerPC,8272 at 0", because I was getting an
> error.

I'd rather change the device tree, instead.

> I tried booting both using a cuImage (cuImage.mpc8272ads) and a uImage
> with a device tree blob. Neither boot was successful, with no helpful
> information printed to the serial port.
>
> Is there any change that has to be made in order to get the board to boot?

Upgrade to the latest kernel, and if it still doesn't work try enabling
the early debug console (note that the default address is currently for
cuImage).

-Scott