help with MPC8272ADS board

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon May 4 05:26:03 EST 2009

Dear Bracha,

In message <065A7D06F7D4E546A18E80E08D066E1811892DD86B at ILMA1.IL.NDS.COM> you wrote:

> I'm trying to get the MPC8272ADS evaluation board up and running with
> the latest versions of u-boot and Denx linux (2.6.24).

2.6.24 is actually very old and not even close to latest. "Latest" is
(as I'm typing this) v2.6.30-rc4.

> I use the device tree file (mpc8272ads.dts) provided. Based on
> another post, I updated the MPC8260ADS.h file, changing OF_CPU from
> "cpu at 0<mailto:cpu at 0>" to "PowerPC,8272 at 0", because I was getting an
> error.

No such changes should be necessary.

I  just  tried  this  (using  both  the  kernel.org  tree,  and   our
linux-2.6-denx  repository),  with the same results (i. e. zero build
problems):

	$ export CROSS_COMPILE=ppc_6xx-
	$ export ARCH=powerpc

	$ make CROSS_COMPILE=ppc_6xx- ARCH=powerpc mpc8272_ads_defconfig
	$ make -j6 CROSS_COMPILE=ppc_6xx- ARCH=powerpc uImage

	$ make mpc8272ads.dtb

Then use the images in "arch/powerpc/boot/uImage" and
"arch/powerpc/boot/mpc8272ads.dtb", resp.

[Sorry, I cannot test this myself as we don't have a mpc8272_ads board
in our lab.]

> I tried booting both using a cuImage (cuImage.mpc8272ads) and a
> uImage with a device tree blob. Neither boot was successful, with no
> helpful information printed to the serial port.
>
> Is there any change that has to be made in order to get the board to
> boot?

Maybe you did not pass the right "console=" boot  argument?  Keep  in
ind  that the serial ports are named "ttyCPM*" now, not "ttyS*" as it
used to be with very old kernel versions.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
I thought my people would grow tired of killing. But you were  right,
they  see it is easier than trading. And it has its pleasures. I feel
it myself. Like the hunt, but with richer rewards.
	-- Apella, "A Private Little War", stardate 4211.8