Soft Reset for PPC44x Virtex 5 hangs saying Restarting System

Grant Likely grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Tue Jul 14 01:02:34 EST 2009

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 1:16 AM, srikanth
krishnakar<skrishnakar at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Kernel : Linux-2.6.29
> Arch: Powerpc (ppc44x)
> Target: Xilinx ML507 Virtex5
>
> I have an issue in "Reset System" of Xilinx ML507 target board. I am using
> Compact Flash to boot the target ( using system ACE file to boot the
> target), during the process reset or reboot command on the target, I am not
> able to reboot the target completely, here is the snapshot:

Where is your boot code located?  In BRAM?  or SDRAM?  If it is in
RAM, then it is likely that your boot code gets overwritten when the
Linux kernel boots and so soft resetting the processor will result in
a hung system (because it doesn't have any boot code to run).

> The target again doesn't provide me the boot options as obtained when done
> hard reset :

What boot options are you referring to?  SystemACE boot configuration?
 The current system ace driver doesn't have any support for either
setting the boot options or using the systemace to reboot the system
by reconfiguring the FPGA.  It shouldn't be hard to do, it just hasn't
been written.

g.

--
Grant Likely, B.Sc., P.Eng.