Soft Reset for PPC44x Virtex 5 hangs saying Restarting System

srikanth krishnakar skrishnakar at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 17:16:45 EST 2009

Hi all,

Kernel : Linux-2.6.29
Arch: Powerpc (ppc44x)
Target: Xilinx ML507 Virtex5

I have an issue in "Reset System" of Xilinx ML507 target board. I am using
Compact Flash to boot the target ( using system ACE file to boot the
target), during the process reset or reboot command on the target, I am not
able to reboot the target completely, here is the snapshot:

root at ml507:~# reboot

INIT: Sending processes the TERM signalWed Jul
INIT: Stopping OpenBSD Secure Shell server: sshdstopped /usr/sbin/sshd (pid
1052)
.
Stopping Vixie-cron.
Stopping network benchmark server: netserverstopped /usr/sbin/netserver (pid
1058)
.
Stopping syslogd/klogd: stopped syslogd (pid 1061)
stopped klogd (pid 1063)
done
NOT deconfiguring network interfaces: / is an NFS mount
Sending all processes the TERM signal...
Sending all processes the KILL signal...
hwclock: can't open '/dev/misc/rtc': No such file or directory
Unmounting remote filesystems...
Deactivating swap...
/etc/rc6.d/S40umountfs: line 9: swapoff: not found
Unmounting local filesystems...
umount2: Device or resource busy
umount: none busy - remounted read-only
Rebooting... Restarting system.                 <--------------- Target
hangs here..

The target again doesn't provide me the boot options as obtained when done
hard reset :

Welcome to the Xilinx Virtex-5 ML507 Evaluation Platform Bootloader
Menu!

Please choose a demo by typing in the number of the demo you want to
use

Or select a demo using the directional buttons (C,W,S,E,N)
  (Then press the center (C) button to start the selected demo)

1. Virtex-5 Slide Show
2. Web Server Demo
3. Simon Game
4. Board Diagnostics (XROM)
5. USB Demo
6. My own ACE file
7. Ring Tone Player
Rebooting to System ACE Configuration Address 6...

zImage starting: loaded at 0x00800000 (sp: 0x00a44fb0)
Allocating 0x4e9138 bytes for kernel ...
gunzipping (0x00000000 <- 0x0080e000:0x00a437cc)...done 0x4a1bcc bytes

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated !!

Thanks
-Sriknt