ARCH=ppc -> ARCH=powerpc : help needed for dts file

Philippe De Muyter phdm at macqel.be
Tue Mar 11 22:46:02 EST 2008

Hi David,

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 11:32:49AM +1100, David Gibson wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 09, 2008 at 11:31:09PM +0100, Philippe De Muyter wrote:
> > Hi Ben,
> >
> > I now have a working linux on my mpc8540 based board, with support for
> > the compactflash disk and the i2c rtc.
> >
> > The network tough, does not work yet. altough the the integrated ethernet
> > controller (FEC) seems to be recognized.  Could it be a problem with the phy ?
> > I notice that I do not have an entry for gfar_interrupt in /proc/interrupts
> > on my ethernet-missing linux, while I have one ont the working arch/ppc linux ?
> > Do I need to give the phy type in the dts file, and how ?
> >
> > I would also like to know if it is possible to still get in linux the mac
> > address known by uboot when using a dts file, and how ?
>
> This chiefly depends on whether you're using an old u-boot that
> doesn't know about the device tree, or a new u-boot which itself
> supplies a device tree to the kernel.
>
> If the old u-boot, you'll need to write a bootwrapper for your
> platform which reads the bd_t and pokes the right mac addresses into
> the device tree.
>
> If the new u-boot, u-boot itself should put the address into the
> device tree.  If it's not, why it's not is a u-boot question rather
> than a device tree question.

OK :(

Now back to the first an bigger problem :
currently, I have an "old" U-boot and I have written myself a dts file.

Problem is : ethernet does not work, but that's not a mac-address problem,
but something else that I do not understand yet.  The symptom is I get

	ip route add default via 192.168.85.33 dev eth0
	RTNETLINK answers: Network is unreachable

I surmise this is because my eth0 does not become up, and I surmise
again this is because there is no driver selected to drive the phy.

In my arch/ppc setup this was automagically handled by fixed at 100:1 IIRC

Is there something I can put in my dts file to activate a driver for my phy ?

Best regards

Philippe