ARCH=ppc -> ARCH=powerpc : help needed for dts file

David Gibson david at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Tue Mar 11 11:32:49 EST 2008

On Sun, Mar 09, 2008 at 11:31:09PM +0100, Philippe De Muyter wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> I now have a working linux on my mpc8540 based board, with support for
> the compactflash disk and the i2c rtc.
>
> The network tough, does not work yet. altough the the integrated ethernet
> controller (FEC) seems to be recognized.  Could it be a problem with the phy ?
> I notice that I do not have an entry for gfar_interrupt in /proc/interrupts
> on my ethernet-missing linux, while I have one ont the working arch/ppc linux ?
> Do I need to give the phy type in the dts file, and how ?
>
> I would also like to know if it is possible to still get in linux the mac
> address known by uboot when using a dts file, and how ?

This chiefly depends on whether you're using an old u-boot that
doesn't know about the device tree, or a new u-boot which itself
supplies a device tree to the kernel.

If the old u-boot, you'll need to write a bootwrapper for your
platform which reads the bd_t and pokes the right mac addresses into
the device tree.

If the new u-boot, u-boot itself should put the address into the
device tree.  If it's not, why it's not is a u-boot question rather
than a device tree question.

http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson