[RFC] Kprobes for book-e

Sulibhavi, Madhvesh madhvesh.s at ap.sony.com
Fri Jun 13 00:29:07 EST 2008

Kumar Gala wrote Wednesday, June 11, 2008 8:36 PM
> To: Sulibhavi, Madhvesh
> Cc: rsmadhvesh at vsnl.net; ananth at in.ibm.com;
> linuxppc-dev at ozlabs.org; Paul Mackerras
> Subject: Re: [RFC] Kprobes for book-e

> > arch/powerpc/kernel/kprobes.c |   35 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> > +----
> > arch/powerpc/kernel/misc_32.S |    2 +-
> > arch/powerpc/kernel/traps.c   |   26 +++++++++++++++++++++++++-
> > 3 files changed, 57 insertions(+), 6 deletions(-)
>
> Your patch got line wrapped by your mailer.  Take a look at
> Documentation/email-clients.tx

Yes, i need to correct my emailer (long pending)

> > static void __kprobes prepare_singlestep(struct kprobe *p, struct
> > pt_regs *regs)
> > {
> > +#ifdef CONFIG_BOOKE
> > +	regs->msr &= ~(MSR_EE); /* Turn off 'Externel Interrupt' bits */
> > +	regs->msr &= ~(MSR_CE); /* Turn off 'Critical Interrupt' bits */
> > +	regs->msr |= MSR_DE;
>
> can we remove MSR_EE and MSR_CE here?

Ah! yes? interrupts are enabled while executing the trap
instruction in ppc unlike int3 of x86 where interupts are
disabled. kprobe_handler already handles the reentrancy with
nmissed count. I think this code can be removed and
I will confirm after my test.

-Madhvesh

This email is confidential and intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may contain information that is privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately by return email or telephone and destroy the original message. - This mail is sent via Sony Asia Pacific Mail Gateway.