drivers/char/hvc_* and /Documentation/powerpc/hvcs.txt

Timur Tabi timur at freescale.com
Sat Jan 26 09:39:27 EST 2008

Hi,

I'm working on a console driver for the Freescale hypervisor.  I notice a bunch
of hvc_* files in the drivers/char directory.  I also noticed
/Documentation/powerpc/hvcs.txt.

My guess is that hvcs.txt talks about drivers/char/hvcs.c, which is a console
driver specific to some IBM hypervisor.  The hvc_*.c files are based on that
code but they're more generic and allow people to write console drivers for
other hypervisors easliy.  Am I right?

If so, does this mean that I can take hvc_beat.c, modify it to make Freescale
hypervisor calls instead, and presto, I'm done?

--
Timur Tabi
Linux kernel developer at Freescale