mpc8568e-mds: pci-e is broken

Anton Vorontsov avorontsov at ru.mvista.com
Thu Jan 24 06:50:22 EST 2008

On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 01:42:56PM -0600, Kumar Gala wrote:
[...]
> >PCI: Probing PCI hardware
> >PCI: 0001:01:00.0: class b20 doesn't match header type 01. Ignoring
> >class.
> >PCI: Closing bogus Apple Firmware region 1 on bus 0x02
> >PCI: Closing bogus Apple Firmware region 2 on bus 0x02
>
> odd, you shouldn't see these anymore w/my git tree.

Yup, I noticed few commits that are trying to fix this. And these
fixes do work for PCI, but not for PCI-E...

[...]
> >static void __devinit __pcibios_fixup_bus(struct pci_bus *bus)
> >{
> >		if (i >= 3 && bus->self->transparent)
> >			continue;
> >}
> >
> >That new check doesn't work, here bus->self->transparent == 0.
> >Could it be that the message below is the root cause?
> >
> >PCI: 0001:01:00.0: class b20 doesn't match header type 01. Ignoring
> >class.
>
> this is expected but of how FSL hw reports itself.

Well. I see only two places were transparent flag is applied:
drivers/pci/quirks.c:quirk_transparent_bridge()
and
drivers/pci/probe.c:pci_setup_device() in the PCI_HEADER_TYPE_BRIDGE.

So, obviously probe.c is skipping our PCI-E, thus not setting
transparent flag, no?

> >I.e. drivers/pci/probe.c just don't setting transparent flag.
> >I wonder if we need use quirk_transparent_bridge() here or
> >we can fix it other way?
> >
> >Just in case, I'm observing that message for a long long time, and
> >it didn't tell upon any functionality till now.
>

> Is this with the 8568 MDS in standalone or plugged into the back pane?

This is standalone setup.

Thanks,

--
Anton Vorontsov