crash in kmem_cache_init

Mel Gorman mel at csn.ul.ie
Thu Jan 24 00:41:48 EST 2008

On (23/01/08 13:14), Olaf Hering didst pronounce:
> On Wed, Jan 23, Mel Gorman wrote:
>
> > Sorry this is dragging out. Can you post the full dmesg with loglevel=8 of the
> > following patch against 2.6.24-rc8 please? It contains the debug information
> > that helped me figure out what was going wrong on the PPC64 machine here,
> > the revert and the !l3 checks (i.e. the two patches that made machines I
> > have access to work). Thanks
>
> It boots with your change.

....... Nice one! As the only addition here is debugging output, I can
only assume that the two patches were being booted in isolation instead
of combination earlier. The two threads have been a little confused with
hand waving so that can easily happen.

Looking at your log;

> early_node_map[1] active PFN ranges
>     1:        0 ->   892928

All memory on node 1

> Online nodes
> o 0
> o 1
> Nodes with regular memory
> o 1
> Current running CPU 0 is associated with node 0
> Current node is 0

Running CPU associated with node 0 so other than being node 1 instead of
node 2, your machine is similar to the one I had the problem on in terms
of memoryless nodes and CPU configuration.

> VFS: Cannot open root device "<NULL>" or unknown-block(0,0)
> Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available partitions:
> Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
> Rebooting in 1 seconds..

I see it failed to complete boot but I'm going to assume this is a relatively
normal commane-line, .config or initrd problem and not a regression of
some type.

I'll post a patch suitable for pick-up shortly. The two patches ran in
combination with CONFIG_DEBUG_SLAB a compile-based stress tests without
difficulty so hopefully there is not new surprises hiding in the corners.

Thanks Olaf.

--
Mel Gorman
Part-time Phd Student                          Linux Technology Center