add phy-handle property for fec_mpc52xx

Grant Likely grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Thu Jan 10 03:44:55 EST 2008

On 1/9/08, Matt Sealey <matt at genesi-usa.com> wrote:
> > However, I'm still inclined to pick up Olaf's patch with the
> > appropriate protections around it so it is only done if the nodes are
> > missing.
>
> Eh.. yeah. Maybe. Seems like a cop-out to me. I would rather you removed
> the patch and called us a bunch of idiots for coding bad firmware, than
> have the fixups be dependant on what could turn into a very well coded
> but essentially screen-long list of fixups for myriad firmware versions
> where the properties may or may not be present or correct for various
> firmware versions and devices.

I've come to the conclusion that Postel knew what he was talking
about; "Be conservative in what you do; be liberal in what you accept
from others."  :-)

I 100% agree that this stuff is better done in firmware.  However,
until that stuff is in place; it is 100% reasonable and desirable to
work around it in prom_init.  That being said, I will modify prom_init
to not blindly apply fixups if they have already been done in
firmware.

> Grant, are you any good at coding firmware-level stuff without utilizing
> any preexisting code under the GPL? I'd like to collaborate on an installer
> tool which can put efika.forth (and therefore all these fixes) in.

I'm good at firmware stuff, but time comes at a premium.  This level
of work would require a contract arrangement between our two
companies.

Cheers,
g.

--