Generic MMC-over-SPI binding?

Robert Schwebel r.schwebel at pengutronix.de
Wed Jan 9 03:11:20 EST 2008

On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 03:22:00PM +0100, Simon Richter wrote:
> in an embedded system similar to the lite5200 board, there is an MMC
> card socket connected to one of the PSCs. Ideally, I'd like to express
> this fact via the device tree and have the kernel bind the mmc-spi
> driver to the SPI interface, but I cannot find any place where to insert
> this code that I feel comfortable with.
>
>   - It is not a board-specific thing, because any board can just use any
> SPI bus for MMC.
>
>   - The mmc-spi driver appears to be platform independent, so I'm not
> sure OF bindings should be added to it.
>
>   - The generic device tree scanning does not contain any special cases
> yet, so I don't want to add one.
>
> My current thought is to create a new driver that just handles MMC on
> PSCs in SPI mode by gluing all the relevant drivers together, but that
> doesn't seem optimal to me either.

You know this driver?

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=blob;f=drivers/mmc/host/mmc_spi.c;h=365024b83d3da9df9b6e4f7a9d4cf6d216ba523d;hb=HEAD

Or is your question how to express this in the device tree?

Robert
     Hannoversche Str. 2, 31134 Hildesheim, Germany
   Phone: +49-5121-206917-0 |  Fax: +49-5121-206917-9