How complete should the DTS be?

Kumar Gala galak at kernel.crashing.org
Tue Jan 8 17:04:36 EST 2008

On Jan 7, 2008, at 8:07 PM, Sean MacLennan wrote:

> Just a general question about DTS "completeness". Like all 440EP
> processors, the taco has two i2c buses. However, only one bus has
> anything connected to it.
>
> Should I show both bus entries in the DTS, or only the one that is
> used?
> I have generally only been showing the devices that are present. i.e.
> Only one emac, only one serial port.
>
> Is there a convention for this?

The .dts should reflect the HW as its used.  On some reference boards
we might put out more info because of the various configs these types
of boards can be setup in.  However if something has a static config
just describe that.  So in your example of two i2c buses with only one
connected, just describe the one that is used.

- k