get_cycles()

Tony Breeds tony at bakeyournoodle.com
Mon Apr 28 14:38:05 EST 2008

On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 03:35:54AM -0700, Kevin Diggs wrote:

> I'm working on a cpufreq driver for the 750GX so I don't think I have to
> worry about being to platform specific.
>
> Would a compile time configuration be a good idea (hrtimer or
> get_cycles() assisted timing)?

Save yourself the pain, and use the hrtimers infrastructure.

> In the 2.4 code I just used a timer 2 ticks in the future to be certain
> I did not go under the 100 us PLL lock delay. I was trying to see if I
> could cut the latency down.
>
> What about using OF? Isn't there a timebase property for the cpus?

Sure, If you really don't want to use the infrastructure that's there
feel free to duplicate portions of arch/powerpc/kernel/time.c and
kernel/time/* into your cpufreq driver.

Yours Tony

  linux.conf.au    http://www.marchsouth.org/
  Jan 19 - 24 2009 The Australian Linux Technical Conference!