get_cycles()

Kevin Diggs kevdig at hypersurf.com
Sun Apr 27 20:35:54 EST 2008

David Miller wrote:
> From: Kevin Diggs <kevdig at hypersurf.com>
> Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 19:39:07 -0700
>

>>This looks pretty cool ... but I don't want to create a dependency on
>>hrtimer.
>

> It doesn't create such a dependency.
>
> We use it unconditionally in the generic networking.
>
> Please don't use platform specific interfaces if you don't have to.
> You're be insulated from so many things.

I'm working on a cpufreq driver for the 750GX so I don't think I have to
worry about being to platform specific.

Would a compile time configuration be a good idea (hrtimer or
get_cycles() assisted timing)?

In the 2.4 code I just used a timer 2 ticks in the future to be certain
I did not go under the 100 us PLL lock delay. I was trying to see if I
could cut the latency down.

What about using OF? Isn't there a timebase property for the cpus?

Thoughts?

kevin