RFC: MPC5200 PSC AC97 driver

Grant Likely grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Sat Apr 19 08:53:08 EST 2008

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 12:11 PM, Matt Sealey <matt at genesi-usa.com> wrote:

>  Juergen Beisert wrote:
>

> > On Friday 18 April 2008 17:43, Peter Czanik wrote:
> >
> > I'm not sure if "cell-index" is a correct property. I copied it from the
> uart driver, because this driver needs something to distinguish between PSC1
> and PSC2. Maybe there is a better and correct oftree solution? Any oftree
> expert here?
> >

>  cell-index is correct by legacy, but I think it has been said by that you
> could
>  just as well pick which PSC you are running on by it's address.
>
>  I would prefer the address approach, but everyone's going to keep
> cell-index
>  around anyway so why not leave it there and why not keep using it?

I was the one who started using cell-index in the first place; but
I've had a change of opinion and I think doing it by address would be
better.  That being said, it doesn't hurt to have the cell-index
property in there.  If/when we rework the drivers to use address, then
it will just be a harmless and superfluous property.

BTW, is anyone trying to shepherd this driver into the ALSA tree?  Its
out of my area of expertise and responsibility, so I haven't been
pursuing it.

Cheers,
g.

>  --