Signal backtrace function

Joakim Tjernlund joakim.tjernlund at transmode.se
Tue Apr 15 02:20:09 EST 2008

On Mon, 2008-04-14 at 18:09 +0200, Detlev Zundel wrote:
> Hi Jocke,
>
> > I made my own backtrace function for printing
> > a trace from within a signal handler. Maybe it
> > can be useful for the kernel too? General
> > comments welcome.
>
> Probably a dumb question, but doesn't backtrace(3) from glibc work
> architecture independent already?   Why do you need to reimplement it?

Nope, it doesn't give you a good backtrace from within a signal handler.
On x86 you can use the normal backtrace function with a minor
workaround, but as ppc doesn't save a FP in leaf functions, that
workaround does not work well. You can read more about it
at http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6391

 Jocke