[patch 6/6] PS3: Add os-area database routines

Ranulf Doswell ralf at ranulf.net
Mon Oct 8 23:48:19 EST 2007

On 06/10/2007, geoffrey.levand at am.sony.com <geoffrey.levand at am.sony.com>
wrote:
> enum os_area_db_owner {

> 	OS_AREA_DB_OWNER_ANY = -1,
> 	OS_AREA_DB_OWNER_NONE = 0,
>	OS_AREA_DB_OWNER_PROTOTYPE = 1,
>	OS_AREA_DB_OWNER_LINUX = 2,
>	OS_AREA_DB_OWNER_PETITBOOT = 3,
>	OS_AREA_DB_OWNER_MAX = 32,
>};
>
>enum os_area_db_key {
>	OS_AREA_DB_KEY_ANY = -1,
>	OS_AREA_DB_KEY_NONE = 0,
>	OS_AREA_DB_KEY_RTC_DIFF = 1,
>	OS_AREA_DB_KEY_VIDEO_MODE = 2,
>	OS_AREA_DB_KEY_MAX = 8,
>};

How do we go about claiming one of these OS_AREA_DB_OWNER_ keys? I'd very
much like to use this functionality in my python-ps3 games library.

My requirement is to be able to persist various options such as player names
and rankings. I had already been thinking about generating a unique token
and storing it somewhere at the end of the flash area so that when my game
connects to a game server, it can identify itself and be provided with all
the previous settings. Obviously, just claiming a random area of flash isn't
ideal, so your standardised solution would be perfect for this.

I would like, therefore, to reserve a single key to hold a 64-bit sized
token in order to identify the machine across reboots. I don't mind
particularly whether it's private to my application or a generally available
field, but certainly having an identifier I can rely on would be very
useful.

Cheers,
    Ralf.