Collecting hypervisor call stats

Segher Boessenkool segher at kernel.crashing.org
Thu Jun 8 08:57:09 EST 2006

> Can you explain the need for barrier(s) before and after the call
> to the
> real routine?  It usually takes me a couple days of thought to
> figure out
> exactly where these are needed. :)

The barriers make the timing ever so slightly more deterministic (not
more
"accurate" though), because it has a "sync" insn in it.  The sc insn
to do
the actual hypervisor call is a synchronisation point itself of
course, as
probably some things around it are as well.  So just blast-em away,
they do
slow down things, and you don't really care about a few cycles more
or less
reported, hypervisor calls are not that fast.

Segher