Collecting hypervisor call stats

Christopher Yeoh cyeoh at samba.org
Wed Jun 7 11:08:12 EST 2006

At 2006/6/6 09:46-0700  Mike Kravetz writes:
> On Thu, Jun 01, 2006 at 03:12:15PM +1000, Christopher Yeoh wrote:
> > Here's a patch we've used for collecting hcall counts and times.
>
> Thanks for the patch/code Chris!  I'm using this as a basis for something
> that we may want to merge into the tree.  Just a couple of questions.
>
> Your 'wrappers' have the following general form:
>

> Can you explain the need for barrier(s) before and after the call to the
> real routine?  It usually takes me a couple days of thought to figure out
> exactly where these are needed. :)

Ah oops, it turns out I was wrong and they're not necessary after all.

> The use of get_cpu_var/put_cpu_var result in disabling/enabling preemption.
> I can understand why this would be desirable to assure the accuracy of the
> statistics.  But, I was wondering if the desired accuracy is worth the added
> overhead.  My thought was to make these as lightweight as possible and
> sacrifice some accuracy if necessary.  After all, no 'internal decisions' are
> being made because of this data.  It is simply exposed to user land.
> Thoughts?

For what we were using them for at the time we weren't really
concerned about a small degradation in performance and were more
interested in accuracy. I guess I'd recommend doing some benchmarking
to see what difference they really make.

Chris
cyeoh at au.ibm.com
IBM OzLabs Linux Development Group
Canberra, Australia