[RFC] New target 'cuImage' - compatibility uImage

Matthew McClintock msm at freescale.com
Fri Aug 4 06:40:21 EST 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-03 at 22:25 +0200, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> In message <1154636438.5094.45.camel at localhost> you wrote:
> >
> > However, currently the zImage has an elfheader which will come before
>
> May it have whatever it wants. It's irrelevant.
>
> WE DO NOT USE zImage FILES FOR U-BOOT.

I've explained this well enough at this point, if you don't want to ask
more questions to figure it out then I can not really help anymore.

> > > This way U-Boot will load (and if necessary  uncompress)  the  kernel
> > > image plus your attached bootstrap code to it's normal start address.
> > > Then  it starts your bootstrap code which can fixup DTB and then just
> > > start the kernel.
> > >

> > We do not need to worry about this with cuImage because the kernel
> > section will not be compressed. If compression is desired it will be
> > done at the U-Boot level (were U-Boot would do the uncompressing).
>
> Yes,  we  do  need  to  care  about  this.  A  useless  copy  of  the
> uncompressed  kernel  image  is  just  a  waste  of boot time. Not to
> mention that you have to copy your bootstrapo loader out of  the  way
> before it gets overwritten.

I agree. Your previous advice is something I am going to try to reduce
memory copying. Keeping the bootloader after the kernel image should
prevent any overwritting problems, as you said.

-Matthew