clock skew on B/W G3

Rune Torgersen runet at innovsys.com
Wed Oct 5 01:15:10 EST 2005

I looked very closely at htis thing earlier this summer because of an
embedded board that drifted quite severly (15sec a day) with a very
accureate BITS clock as clock source.

Here goes:
In arch/ppc/kernel/time.c
timer_interrupt() gets called every decrementer timeout (about every
1/CONFIG_HZ seconds, accuracy depends on how easily your decrementer
cliock can be divided by CONFIG_HZ)
this calls do_timer() to do the timer increment.

do_timer is in kernel/timer.c and calls update_times().
update_times() calls update_wall_time() which in turns calls
update_wall_time_one_tick()

update_wall_time_one_tick()uses tick_nsec to increment xtime.

tick_nsec is defined as: (kernel/timer.c:561)
unsigned long tick_nsec = TICK_NSEC;

TICK_NSEC is defined as: (include/linux/jiffies.h:64)
#define TICK_NSEC (SH_DIV (1000000UL * 1000, ACTHZ, 8))

ACTHZ is defined as: (include/linux/jiffies.h:61)
#define ACTHZ (SH_DIV (CLOCK_TICK_RATE, LATCH, 8))

LATCH is defined as: (include/linux/jiffies.h:46)
#define LATCH  ((CLOCK_TICK_RATE + HZ/2) / HZ)

which means that tick_nsec depends on CLOCK_TICK_RATE to get its value.

defined as:
#define CLOCK_TICK_RATE	1193180 /* Underlying HZ */

this clock is completely wrong for most/all ppc.
It happens to generate a tick_nsec of 999848 which is close enough to
1000000 that most people does not notice.
(tick_nsec is number of nsec per timer tick)

When HZ is 250, TICK_NSEC becomes 4000250.
While this might not completely explain a 20% change in clock sped, it
it clearly not acurate either.