[FYI] linux 2.6 still not working with PReP (ppc32)

Christian evilninja at gmx.net
Fri Jan 7 07:27:10 EST 2005

On Thu, January 6, 2005 17:27, Sven Luther said:
>> ok. but 2.6.8 +2.6.9 won't boot for me, as it does not include the
>> prep_pci.c fix, which was introduced in 2.6.10-rc3. i assume
>
> Sure, and backported to the debian kernel.

now i'm confused: i've extracted kernel-source-2.6.9.tar.bz2 from
kernel-source-2.6.9_2.6.9-4_all.deb but the prep_pci [1] fix still
applied!
how was it backported then?

>> http://people.debian.org/~luther/prep/d-i-2005.01.03-prep
>>
>> is made from a current kernel, thus containing the fix (because it's
>> booting, upon "configure network" the network actually works too ;))
>
> Nope, same kernel-source-2.6.8 based one as will ship with sarge. It is
> not uploaded yet, will probably be uploaded this WE.

hm, very strange. so d-i-2005.01.03-prep is made from 2.6.8+backported
prep_pci fix (but see my notes above), and it boots fine (network is ok,
but no disks are found as none are attached and thus "Partition the
Harddisk" fails)

>> i've fetched kernel-source-2.6.9 now, applied the prep_pci fix and
>> compiled the kernel. i *had* to make changes to the debian-config
>> (config-2.6.9-powerpc) because i am still not able to boot via disk. so
>> i enabled CONFIG_ROOT_NFS and CONFIG_TULIP, details here:
>
> These should be enabled by default in the debian config though :/

erm, yes, they were, but as modules only. i needed them statically
(CONFIG_ROOT_NFS!)

> Mmm, it works well here, so maybe your scsi hardware has some problems ?

no disks attached, but i will do some more tests on this tonight...

thanks for your concern,
Christian.

[1]
http://www.nerdbynature.de/bits/hal/2.6.10-rc3/prep_pci_renumbered-2.6.10-rc3.patch