[FYI] linux 2.6 still not working with PReP (ppc32)

Sven Luther sven.luther at wanadoo.fr
Fri Jan 7 03:27:11 EST 2005

On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 05:00:35PM +0100, Christian wrote:

> Sven Luther schrieb:
> >
> > It is the standard powerpc debian kernel. apt-get install
> > kernel-image-2.6.8-powerpc, and you will find the config in
> > /boot/config-2.6.8-powerpc. All the rest of the stuff can be found in the
> [...]
> >
> > Well, i am really interested to know if the above debian kernel boots for you
> > or not. And to find the patches that fix it if it doesn't.
>
> ok. but 2.6.8 +2.6.9 won't boot for me, as it does not include the
> prep_pci.c fix, which was introduced in 2.6.10-rc3. i assume

Sure, and backported to the debian kernel.

> http://people.debian.org/~luther/prep/d-i-2005.01.03-prep
>
> is made from a current kernel, thus containing the fix (because it's
> booting, upon "configure network" the network actually works too ;))

Nope, same kernel-source-2.6.8 based one as will ship with sarge. It is not
uploaded yet, will probably be uploaded this WE.

> i've fetched kernel-source-2.6.9 now, applied the prep_pci fix and
> compiled the kernel. i *had* to make changes to the debian-config
> (config-2.6.9-powerpc) because i am still not able to boot via disk. so i
> enabled CONFIG_ROOT_NFS and CONFIG_TULIP, details here:

These should be enabled by default in the debian config though :/

> http://www.nerdbynature.de/bits/hal/daily/boot/config-2.6.9-powerpc
> http://www.nerdbynature.de/bits/hal/daily/boot/config-2.6.9-powerpc.my
> http://www.nerdbynature.de/bits/hal/2.6.10-rc3/prep_pci_renumbered-2.6.10-rc3.patch
>
> the kernel boots, network is set up, but since everything else is modular,
> it cries about several things. i can ping the host and i really think this
> all would work, except when i set CONFIG_SCSI_SYM53C8XX_2=y
>
> http://www.nerdbynature.de/bits/hal/daily/boot/config-2.6.9-powerpc.my+scsi
>
> then the ABORT and RESET errors show upon upon initialization of the
> scsi-adapter (no disk attached). i don't have a fix for this scsi-issue at
> hand. maybe i missed something...

Mmm, it works well here, so maybe your scsi hardware has some problems ?

> hope this helps anyhow to get PReP ready for debian sometimes...
> Christian.

Well, prep on powerstack will be easy, the others will depend on people
submiting a kernel patch for them ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther