Creating rootfs

Jon Masters jonmasters at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 08:14:09 EST 2004

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 14:42:40 -0400, Dan Malek <dan at embeddededge.com> wrote:

> On Oct 11, 2004, at 1:22 PM, Jeff Angielski wrote:
>
> > So how are people creating the rootfs for their embedded target these
> > days?  Busybox?  PTX?  Strip down some existing filesystem?

[ This wants to go to linuxppc-embedded from now on. ]

I use PTXdist but with a crosstool generated toolchain at the moment.
I then package up stuff that isn't in PTXdist - but you could
experiment with embedded Debian et al.

> Those are the solutions, choose whatever works best for you.

There's a whole bunch of distributions out there too. However rolling
your own is the best bet for a small filesystem if you're not buying
commercial tools at this point. Otherwise, go pay Monta, DENX, or one
of the other embedded developer supporting companies for a flashy
solution.

Jon.