MPC7455

Tom Rini trini at kernel.crashing.org
Fri Mar 8 02:30:05 EST 2002

On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 10:48:49PM +0100, benh at kernel.crashing.org wrote:

> >Great!  It sounds like the firmware is doing everyhting.  It might be
> >nice to add an option to have linux configure the CPU registers or not,
> >as for us embedded guys thats easier than implimenting it all in the
> >firmware.  We can do it either way now that we know what the registers
> >should be, though.
>
> Well, then the correct place for the patch is probably in the wrapper
> or in a CONFIG_xxx option for your embedded box. At least for PReP/CHRP/Pmac,
> I want to rely on the firmware for various reasons (one beeing that Apple's
> firmware sets some bits in specific ways to avoid/workaround chip errata).

I'd think that outside of CONFIG_ALL_PPC (or wherever CHRP/Pmac end up
in 2.5.x) we don't care what the firmware did.

Unless of course we move all of the CPU-mucking into arch/ppc/boot, and
just pass along a CPU bi rec (or do what we do now, either way...)

--
Tom Rini (TR1265)
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/