xfree86/fbdevhw not sending right mode to radeonfb.c

Kevin B. Hendricks khendricks at ivey.uwo.ca
Mon Nov 19 05:45:23 EST 2001

Hi,

fbdevhw.c with DEBUG turned on shows the exact same thing I just reported.
 XFree86 is passing in the wrong mode info (missing detailed timings).

Here is a snippet of the XFree86.log

(--) RADEON(0): Virtual size is 1280x1024 (pitch 1296)
(**) RADEON(0): Mode "1280x1024-FP"
fbdevHW: MapMMIO 0
fbdevHW: MapVidmem 0
(**) RADEON(0): RADEONSave
fbdevHW: Save 0
fbdevHW: ModeInit 0
xfree init mode:        108000   1280 0 0 0   1024 0 0 0
fbdev init mode:        9259   1280 -1280 0 0   1024 -1024 0 0   32 8:8:8
fbdevHW: AdjustFrame 0

And here is the 1280x1024-FP mode taken from my XF86Config-4 file:

Mode    "1280x1024-FP"     # vfreq 60.020Hz, hfreq 63.981kHz
    DotClock        108.000000
    HTimings        1280 1408 1520 1688
    VTimings        1024 1028 1031 1066
    Flags   "-HSync" "-VSync"
EndMode

So for some reason xfree is missing all of the detailed timing info when
the fbdevHWModeInit is invoked.

I assume this is why others have reported problems when using different
modes than what the framebuffer devise has set to start up X11 (with
useFBDev) seems to have some problems.

I am willing to dig deeper to track this one down if someone can point me
to the code that parses the mode info from the XF86Config-4 file and loads
it into the mode structure.

Thanks,

Kevin