AGP : ATI128,powerpc

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de
Thu Nov 15 20:20:37 EST 2001

Paul Mackerras wrote:

> J?rn Nettingsmeier writes:
>
> > i've been using ben's tree for a powerbook for quite some time, and
> > i used to see the same error, so i disabled agp and dri.
> >
> > has this been fixed lately ?
> > i'm desperate for faster video. 2d performance under x is pathetic,
> > and scrolling is a major pita.
>
> Getting reasonable 2D performance for things like scrolling doesn't
> need DRI and/or AGP, you just need an X server that knows how to drive
> the rage 128 chip.  I'm using XFree86 4.1.0 (from debian unstable) on
> my Ti powerbook and it works just fine.  I can send you my
> XF86Config-4 if you like (you would need to tweak it a little for a
> pismo) or you could ask Ben Herrenschmidt for the config he uses on
> his pismo.

paul, ben, thanks a lot for your helpful replies.
i'm using a framebuffer xserver, which is of course the reason for
the sloppy scrolling.
somehow i thought you had to use a framebuffer (which, some reading
turned out, is only true for the console, not x).

best,

jörn

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
home://Kurfürstenstr.49.45138.Essen.Germany