Success! (was Re: External Monitor under Pismo)

Geert Uytterhoeven geert at linux-m68k.org
Sat May 5 00:14:36 EST 2001

On Fri, 4 May 2001, Sven LUTHER wrote:

> > >BTW, the recently released ibook is said to only have the capacity to mirror,
> > >not act as an independent display ? can that be or is it something limited in
> > >the mac drivers ? It has a 8MB embedded rage mobility 128, same as the
> > >titanium i think.
> >
> > Don't know. Note that the support I added to aty128fb uses one head only. It
> > just allow you to turn on/off the LCD and CRT output, but it's only mirroring.
>
> So mirroring will work, i guess.
>
> for dual head you will need X, isn't it, fbdev seems broken (well at least
> those using fbgen) for dualhead anyway. Don't know if aty128fb uses fbdev.
                                                                      ^^^^^
								      clgen
No, it doesn't.

> BTW, how does the rage 128 work, it has 1 accel engine that draws to the
> framebuffer memory, and one or more ramdac or digital out ports that send the
> fb data to the displays.

I think so.

If you point the second CRTC to the same frame buffer region, you'll have
mirrorring, else you have two different heads.

> So i suppose the you will need to use a trick similar to the matrox one to get
> dual headed accelerated X to work.

Yep. The same is true for atyfb (yes, I should add mirrorring/dualhead support
for the Mobility in my Vaio :-).

> But could it be possible to block this in hardware, and thus force mirroring
> only operation ?

I suppose yes.

> How many different rage 128 mobility are around anyway ?

No idea. I just at the ATI website earlier today, and they seem to have new
variants called M4 and Radeon Mobility.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds