Success! (was Re: External Monitor under Pismo)

Sven LUTHER luther at dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr
Sat May 5 00:23:55 EST 2001

On Fri, May 04, 2001 at 04:14:36PM +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> > > Don't know. Note that the support I added to aty128fb uses one head only. It
> > > just allow you to turn on/off the LCD and CRT output, but it's only mirroring.
> >
> > So mirroring will work, i guess.
> >
> > for dual head you will need X, isn't it, fbdev seems broken (well at least
> > those using fbgen) for dualhead anyway. Don't know if aty128fb uses fbdev.
>                                                                       ^^^^^
> 								      clgen
> No, it doesn't.

a, so multi headed may work there ?

> > BTW, how does the rage 128 work, it has 1 accel engine that draws to the
> > framebuffer memory, and one or more ramdac or digital out ports that send the
> > fb data to the displays.
>
> I think so.
>
> If you point the second CRTC to the same frame buffer region, you'll have
> mirrorring, else you have two different heads.

so if the mac driver would just permit the CRTC to point to one fb region,
then this would enable only mirroring.

> > So i suppose the you will need to use a trick similar to the matrox one to get
> > dual headed accelerated X to work.
>
> Yep. The same is true for atyfb (yes, I should add mirrorring/dualhead support
> for the Mobility in my Vaio :-).
>
> > But could it be possible to block this in hardware, and thus force mirroring
> > only operation ?
>
> I suppose yes.

This would mean a new die or something such, just to block one feature. I
think it is more probable that it is only a driver issue, i think.

> > How many different rage 128 mobility are around anyway ?
>
> No idea. I just at the ATI website earlier today, and they seem to have new
> variants called M4 and Radeon Mobility.

Well, the M4 is just the rage 128 mobility with AGP 4 support, the one used in
the latest batch of imacs. the radeon mobility is another beast altogether,
and is not a rage 128 chip, but a radeon one. I don't know of it beeing used
into anythin, though i guess it may be used in the next powerbook (with 16MB
embeded framebuffer memory).

Friendly,

Sven Luther