[linux-fbdev] Matrox and XFree86 4.0.2 update

Geert Uytterhoeven geert at linux-m68k.org
Fri Jan 26 19:21:59 EST 2001

On Thu, 25 Jan 2001, Tom Rini wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 12:38:25PM +0100, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> > > Nope it won't cause any problems, none of the XF[86][68]_FBDev servers where
> > > accelerated for matrox, other libs (SDL etc) that have accel for matroxfb
> > > don't work correctly for ppc either.
> >
> > XF68_FBDev is accelerated for matroxfb, at least on the PPC platform.
>
> Er, it is?  I thought only Xpmac was...

I just checked the Debian binary, and indeed it isn't. IIRC patches existed a
few years ago.

Hmmm, I just noticed I'm not using the potato XF68_FBDev but some other special
3.3.4 version called XF68_FBDev.15bppOK (dated aug 1999), which I probably
compiled myself. It works with `DefaultColorDepth 15', while the Debian 3.3.6
variant doesn't work in depth 15, only in depth 16.

In other words: it looks like the fixes to make depth 15 (which is correct, bpp
is 16) work never made it into the official release...

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds