[linux-fbdev] Matrox and XFree86 4.0.2 update

Tom Rini trini at kernel.crashing.org
Fri Jan 26 11:27:16 EST 2001

On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 12:38:25PM +0100, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Jan 2001, Kostas Gewrgiou wrote:
> > >
> > > Using big-endian on PPC was required by PPC users for compatibility with
> > > existing XF[86][68]_FBDev servers. Are you sure that there are no problems
> > > otherwise, and that it works correctly on all PReP/CHRP/???? architectures?
> >
> > Nope it won't cause any problems, none of the XF[86][68]_FBDev servers where
> > accelerated for matrox, other libs (SDL etc) that have accel for matroxfb
> > don't work correctly for ppc either.
>
> XF68_FBDev is accelerated for matroxfb, at least on the PPC platform.

Er, it is?  I thought only Xpmac was...

> > Changing the endian to little is the *right* thing, big-endian mode doesn't
> > offer us anything beyond problems in matroxfb 8/16 bit accesses become a
> > nightmare there...

Just my thoughts on this, but the matrox+ppc camp is relativly small (Yes, I
know some chrps which now work have 'em) and since I'm guessing (Ani, can you
benchmark some of this? :)) XF4 is faster than Xpmac, putting this in now,
with a toggle bit for people that really don't wanna upgrade to X4, and removing
the toggle in 2.5..  It should be an overall win.

--
Tom Rini (TR1265)
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/