about automated emails from ppclinux at sourceforge.net

Tom Gall gall at rochcivictheatre.org
Sun Feb 11 08:24:46 EST 2001

Takashi Oe wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if you or somebody responsible for the sourceforge site
> could reconsider about how "bug" reports and whatnot are fed to
> linuxppc-dev mailing list.

Hi Takashi,

  If you are on the dev list I would hope you are interested in bug
reports. This forwarding has been in place since last year so folks
could keep in tune with the SourceForge site.

> I would much rather prefer if the person who actually submitted the bug
> report to (or changed the status at) the sourceforge site would CC this
> list in person.

  I disagree. Newbies don't necessary know about the linuxppc-dev list
much less the commit list much less where folks hang out in IRC etc etc.
People who take the time to test and post bug reports are valueable!
Sure not every bug is a real problem but that's the life of a developer.

> The autofeed does not show how we may possibly inquire further on the
> report itself.  For example, the last report about parted requiring reboot
> or something seemed like more of a generic Linux issue or just that the
> app is broken, and I may perhaps want to ask for details.  Then, who
> should I send the question to?  [Ok, I can find your email address and
> others' if I work at it, but that's not my point.]

  At the VERY bottom of the bug report is a link that you can click on
to get more information about the bug. From there you can get the sf id
of the people involved in the bugs report and fix. Recall that
sourceforge user ids are email addresses.

  so userid at users.sourceforge.net  as an example.

> If anything, is it possible to stop the autofeed now and instead to
> encourage whoever uses the site to CC their words to linuxppc-dev?

  Sourceforge doesn't have that feature. You can't cc a bug report
somewhere. But that's not to say that those kinds of options couldn't be
added. I know some of the VA Linux guys... sounds like a good
suggestion.

  At the moment I am against stopping the auto feed as then folks who
are not monitoring the sourceforge site miss out on both new bugs as
well as fixes to current bugs.

  Completely cutting off the flow of information to me isn't the answer.

--
Regards,

Tom

Linux Guy             "My heart is human, my blood is boiling,
gall at rochcivictheatre.org    my brain IBM" -- Mr Roboto, Styxx
tom_gall at vnet.ibm.com