about automated emails from ppclinux at sourceforge.net

Takashi Oe toe at unlserve.unl.edu
Sun Feb 11 09:20:11 EST 2001

On Sat, 10 Feb 2001, Tom Gall wrote:

>   If you are on the dev list I would hope you are interested in bug
> reports. This forwarding has been in place since last year so folks
> could keep in tune with the SourceForge site.

Yes, I do care about bug reports.  As I said, I do not like the way things
are fed to the linuxppc-dev list.

[...]
>   I disagree. Newbies don't necessary know about the linuxppc-dev list
> much less the commit list much less where folks hang out in IRC etc etc.
> People who take the time to test and post bug reports are valueable!
> Sure not every bug is a real problem but that's the life of a developer.

I have absolutely no argument against your idea of newbies and bug
reports.  I assumed those were well understood, already.

[...]
>   At the VERY bottom of the bug report is a link that you can click on
> to get more information about the bug.

Sorry, my machine does not work well with sourceforge, and it usually
takes a few minutes or much longer for a page of sourceforge to load in
readable form.  I wish to just reply to the bug report via email to get
more detail or to give some suggestions to whoever posted the message
without invoking a web browser because the bug report came through email.
That way seems natural to me.

[...]
>   so userid at users.sourceforge.net  as an example.

As I recall (perhaps incorrectly), having userid at users.sourceforge.net as
an alias to one's email address was not automatic when I signed up last
year.  Is it now the case that everyone who signs up for sourceforge.net
(automatically) supplies a valid email address for the
userid at users.sourceforge.net thing and the alias is active by default?  If
so, ok, fine then.  I hate to get bounces when I spend a substantial
amount of time composing whatever I have to say.

[...]
>   Completely cutting off the flow of information to me isn't the answer.
Strong language.  That has never been my intention.  From your point of
view, the autofeed is convenient for everybody.  I'm only saying that it's
not convenient for me.  I'm lazy, and I want to hit a reply button (or
delete button) and be done with it.

Regards,

Takashi Oe