PReP and generic PCI resource assignment

Geert Uytterhoeven geert at linux-m68k.org
Fri Aug 10 20:51:34 EST 2001

On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> >You should initialize the parent pointers in the PCI bus structure with
> >pointers to resources containing the correct region.
> >
> >I once hardcoded the parents for the LongTrail, but that code is gone. Now it
> >tries to set up the parents from information in the OF device, which works
> >more or less. There are (or were, read as in `were the last time I tried
> it, a
> >few months ago) still some problems, though. One of them is that the
> hardcoded
> >ISA motherboard resources (i8259 and legacy stuff) are requested before PCI
> >resources are done, and that the PCI bus parent resources were not requested
> >and thus don't appear in the full resource tree.
>
> Parent pointer should be set properly nowadays on bk _2_4_devel at least.

Are the parent resources registered using request_resource() yet?

Furthermore legacy resources should be requested after that, so they are
requested from the correct region, and no overlaps will occur. I had some
(fortunately harmless, it still worked) conflicts, because the PCI resource
tree and the normal I/O resources where in two separate resource trees.

> However, the generic PCI code still wants to add that PCIBIOS_MIN_MEM
> value when assigning resources, I bet we should probably #define that
> to 0 on PPC.

Yes, that should be OK, iff all PIC buses have valid parent resources.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds