PReP and generic PCI resource assignment

Hollis Blanchard hollis at austin.ibm.com
Sat Aug 11 05:34:23 EST 2001

On Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 10:38:04AM +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> There are (or were, read as in `were the last time I
> tried it, a few months ago) still some problems, though. One of them is that
> the hardcoded ISA motherboard resources (i8259 and legacy stuff) are
> requested before PCI resources are done, and that the PCI bus parent
> resources were not requested and thus don't appear in the full resource
> tree.

There is still that problem with VGA console, which does a
request_resource(&ioport_resource,...) after the PCI host bridge has been
found, but well before the PCI code has reserved all of *its* resources. So
reserving 0-ffffffff IO fails because VGA already grabbed a tiny chunk at
0x3d0 or so.

Even regardless of order, VGA console is requesting directly from
ioport_resource, which probably should be changed (Paul suggested
request_region instead)...

I didn't see any similar problem with i8259, but I wasn't looking for it
either.

I get a ton of failed request_resources on the boxes I play with the most, but
luckily most things work ok. Except for this video controller, which doesn't
like being moved away from 0x0... :/

-Hollis