[off topic] switching cpus

Jeff Walther trag at io.com
Thu Aug 9 04:51:11 EST 2001

At 12:47 8/8/2001, Mike Fedyk wrote:

>On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 12:21:52PM -0500, Jeff Walther wrote:

>> The motherboards in question all have the same part number and range from
>> 75 MHz to 110 MHz, so I have not been able to determine any rhyme or reason
>            ^^^
>One small correction, 7200s go up to 120Mhz.

Yep.  Sorry about that.   I was looking under the heat sink last night and
the CPU markings read 110 MHz, and I guess my fingers grabbed that number
instead of the 120 MHz speed the machine actually runs at.   Although,
truth to tell, I'm not sure if that board was a 120 with a 110 CPU or a 90
with a 110 CPU.  It seems kind of odd that they would put a 110 into a 90,
since they'd have to also change the resistors on the voltage regulator
because the 100+ MHz PPC601s use a lower supply voltage.  On the other
hand, this board didn't have the peltier equipped heat sink, so I don't
think it was a 120, though the heat sink could have been changed before it
reached me.

Jeff Walther