MacOS X and yaboot wars.

Ethan Benson erbenson at alaska.net
Tue Sep 26 19:48:46 EST 2000

On Tue, Sep 26, 2000 at 10:10:49AM +0200, Michael Schmitz wrote:

> Does ybin rely on the Apple_Bootstrap type? If not, just call it any way
> you like to make MacOS messing with it even more unlikely.

ybin could not care less, ybin will install onto a regular file
happily ;-)

what DOES care is OpenFirmware, which insists on it being Apple_Boot*
Apple_Boot is used by apple so macosx will do whatever it wants
whenever it wants, Apple_HFS is out since macos old will ruin it as we
have all seen.  Apple used to use Apple_Booter so i would avoid that too.

i think the best solution is just reorder the partitions again after
installing OSX.  using Apple_Boot would probably just mean your
partition would be erased instead of moved which is far worse IMO.

> Caution: I've found the reorder option to work in very non-obvious ways
> (partitions could only be moved one way IIRC). I'll have to investigate
> that in more detail.

it can be done, but yes i have not totally figured out the right
syntax.

ill see if i can get Clausen to add reorder support to parted if its
not already there.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/