remote debugging?

Charles Lepple clepple at mitre.org
Fri Jan 7 05:43:03 EST 2000

Andreas Tobler wrote:
[...]
> The kernel is compiled with xmon included, the one I test boots and is a
> 2214pre18. It's only to find out how 'remote' works.

Once you have a kernel with xmon support, you can generate an NMI
(command-power, I believe) and that drops you into xmon (assuming the
machine is not too far gone). In addition, xmon will come up when a
fatal exception occurs, or when you put a xmon(0) call into a function
in the kernel.

When debugging an embedded system, I just put a bunch of xmon(0) calls
at strategic locations, and when I got close to where the system was
hanging, I poked around with xmon.

Paul Mackerras wrote some documentation for xmon that you may want to
check out. It doesn't seem to be in Documentation/ but it's probably at
linuxppc.cs.nmt.edu or something (search the mail archives -- it has
been discussed before).

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at mitre.org