remote debugging?

Andreas Tobler toa at pop.agri.ch
Fri Jan 7 03:55:00 EST 2000

Hi,

I try to remote debugging a kernel.
Configuration as follows:

pm7200 Linux <------ serial cable------> PowerBook MacOS ZTerm

the physical Link is ok, when cat'ing a file to /dev/ttyS1 I get it on
the ZTerm window.

But when I boot with BootX I add the kernel args 'console=/dev/ttyS1' in
the corresponding field.

The first stage text I see on the pm7200, afterwards Tux comes up and no
booting messages are seen either on the pm7200 (what I expect) nor on
the ZTerm window. (what I don't expect).

The serial settings are as described in the xmon.txt 38400N81
The kernel is compiled with xmon included, the one I test boots and is a
2214pre18. It's only to find out how 'remote' works.

Any ideas/experiences?

Thanks in advance,

Andreas