Backlight control on Lombard PB

Michael Schmitz schmitz at zirkon.biophys.uni-duesseldorf.de
Thu Aug 10 03:58:31 EST 2000

> > Should be fixed in BenH's current tree, he said he was going to do it this
> > past weekend. The pmu backlight controller didn't get registered on the
> > Lombard (and possibly Wallstreet) because the backlight-control property
> > is missing on these machines.
> >
> So we were just lucky that it used to work before?

Nope, it broke because BenH added code to have either the PMU driver or
the atyfb driver register a backlight control callback (depending on where
the power control logic actually resides).

> It should be in the linux-pmac-benh branch then, yeah? I rsynced again
> from linuxcare.com.au yesterday (or rather 2:00 UT this morning), and the
> problem still remains. Is there anything else to do, upgrade to a newer
> BootX perhaps, or whatever?

Compile you own kernel, and add a || machine_is_compatible("PowerBook1,1")
right after the || machine_is_compatible("AAPL,PowerBook1999") in
arch/ppc/kernel/pmac_support.c:register_backlight_controller(). That fixed
it for me. I'll resync and see what BenH did there later today.

	Michael