CONFIG_PPC != Mac

Tom Gall gall at rochcivictheatre.org
Thu Aug 3 11:22:12 EST 2000

Michael Schmitz wrote:

> > > Given the flexibility I was used to on m68k[*], I find this a pity as well...
> >
> > Well, it looks like I opened up a big can of worms...........
> >
> > I guess this is something that will get discussed as part of
> > "restructuring" the PowerPC source tree when we jump into 2.5.xx.
>
> While I also enjoyed the flexibility on m68k, some of it was paid for in
> terms of increased complexity in head.S and entry.S (and especially head.S
> wasn't a bit pretty). I'm not sure how your trouble with the embedded
> systems can be solved, we kept separate head.S versions for Macs and other
> machines for a while as well because things just got too confusing. Maybe
> we need to keep separate versions for embedded and other systems here?

Hi All,

  I think we don't want to get too carried away with pulling things
apart here. Afterall I think we'd all like to be able to continue to
pick up a distro with a bootable kernel that works over a wide variety
of machines instead of 10 different kernels to choose from depending on
which box you've got.

  Now obvoiusly I'm going a little overboard here but hopefully you
might see what I'm saying. Granted embedded boxes aren't going to care
about booting from the install cd but I think the rest of us sure do!

--
Hakuna Matata,

Tom

Linux Guy          "My heart is human, my blood is boiling,
tgall at uswest.net    my brain IBM" -- Mr Roboto, Styxx