XFree 4.0 dual monitor on AGP G4

Michael Schmitz schmitz at opal.biophys.uni-duesseldorf.de
Thu Apr 27 06:05:56 EST 2000

> >> Unfortunately, the XFree86 4.0 docs say that PCI id's are mandatory for
> >> dual-head configs.
> >
> > So? You have specified them.
> >

> Well using fbdev in principle should be abstracted from pci hardware.

In principle. OTOH, the X server insists on examining the PCI config
regardless of the fbdev interface having everything set up OK. And the
fbdev driver currently does not provide a method to report the IO base for
the chipset registers. Neither does it provide a way for the X server to
associate a PCI device with a given framebuffer device to figure the
missing information from the PCI resources. You might argue that the X
server could reconstruct that association from the PCI resources and the
fb_info video mem address. Using the PCI resources for all purposes is
probably easier though.

> given what Kostas Gewrgiou told me regarding the fbdev_open_pci function,
> viewing logs isn't going to do me any good.

I've not seen fbdev_open_pci called (on the Mach64 driver, that is).

> oh, and probeonly crashes the machine :-(

Care to post a lspci -vv log?

	Michael